Skip to main content

I was not prepared.

Today we were driving in the car, listening to music. Or rather, searching for a suitable song to listen to. After not finding any, I turned the radio off amid protests from the Orclette. I explained to her that I couldn't find any "good" songs. She replied, and I quote: "Momma, I like bad songs".

Immediately I thought of her future years when boys would become tempting. Was this going to be a habit of liking "bad"? How could I prevent this?

Then I came up with my solution. Damm has been wanting me to learn how to shoot a gun, and also to buy me one. What if, the first time Orclette brings her eventual boyfriend over, both Damm and myself have guns to hand? You know, the terrifying dad but twice as terrifying. Make that boy run for the woods.

Then again, I'm probably reading way too much into her statement. She likes to contradict whatever I say, and most likely that was her motivation.

I am not looking forward to the teenage years.

Comments

Patrick said…
Yeah, we don't have kids yet, but when we do (I'm convinced one of them will be a girl) I plan to buy a gun for specifically this reason. First time a boy comes over, I will be cleaning my gun. It's a parent's right to put the fear of God in them, right?
Beowulfa said…
Absolutely. Totally agree:)
Mania said…
My mother tried that. I foiled her, though - my first boyfriend was a gun nut.
Patrick said…
See, but that's where you channel Bill Engvall. He had a great bit that went something like, "See that girl over there? She's my only little girl, man. So before you get any ideas about holding hands or hugging or kissing, keep one thing in mind. I've got not problems going BACK to prison."
klaki said…
And it starts.... I have a little cousin who I have been around since she was 4. She started so innocent, but now (she's 13) she is the image of everything I would worry about if I had a daughter. Listening to nasty music. Worried more about how she looks and what she has than anything else. Defiant to a point that if she was my daughter, I might call CPS on me. lol.... anyway. Children are growing up with all these new influences around them. Television has gotten worse. Shows now may be nice and humble like Dora, but wait 5 years when they want to watch MTV Jersey Shore type shows. The internet is bad influences on demand. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Did you see that video on YouTube where..." followed by something very inappropriate for a child. I don't have kids of my own, but when I'm blessed with one, I'll be scared the whole time.
Beowulfa said…
A nunnery sounds good right about now (joking, not really serious:). And yeah, my whole gun idea would backfire it the dude actually liked guns. I like what Bill Engvall said. And we don't have cable, and I'm thinking we will never need to get it again. Too many bad influences.
Dammerung said…
I've always thought it would be far more effective to have a whole bunch of wires and explosives laid out on the table and explain: "Yeah, I'm an Army Combat Engineer.... I make bombs out of improvised devices for a living. Why bother with guns when you can take out a city block to get the scumbag you are after?"

Or something like that. I've got about ten years to perfect the delivery.

Popular posts from this blog

INSANITY. Day 2.

My thoughts on the Plyometric Cardio Circuit? My floor has never looked so appealing. And I never thought I'd be one of the "yellers." In exercise lingo (not another lingo!:) that means you yell when things get hard. Oh bother. Another pun. Anyway, Shaun T's Basketball Drills had me yelling. And grunting as good as those humongo body builders do. And as good as Tim the Tool Man Taylor:) Damm's thoughts were that he didn't push as hard as he could've BUT this time he was standing at the end of the workout. And as soon as he actually sat down he couldn't get back up:) We aren't going to change what we eat yet. We were already ingesting good-for-you foods. According to the caloric needs calculater Damm should be eating around 3,000 calories working out 6 days a week and I should be at 2,400. I'm already at 2,000-2,200 because I'm still the main food source of the Little Man. Not sure where Damm falls on the calorie count. Anyway, not upping ou...

The Cat is Out of the Bag

I wonder where that expression comes from? There is this fabulous book that can tell you, only I forgot the name of it. Next time I come across it I think I'm going to have to buy it. Anyway. I was going to wait. A long time. Maybe forever. I don't like people coming up and hugging me, smiling and saying congratulations, or asking me questions. But Damm was talking to his recruiter about insurance. And he mentioned something that he should've told the recruiter was non-repeatable, because 5 minutes later the recruiter told Damm's mother (I have no earthly idea why he's talking to her-I keep forgetting to ask). After that I had to tell my mother. We haven't told any extended family members because there are quite a few here celebrating Damm's mother's graduation and that would be the worst form of torture I can imagine. So yeah, I'm knocked up again :P And this time I'm getting the t-shirt. "It" is due August 11. I have not been to a doc...

Pedestels

Me and someone had an interesting conversation yesterday. Prompting this short question post: Who do you put on a pedestel? Who do you look down on? Don't answer either of these please. I don't really want to know. I just did a personal inventory and realized there are an awful lot of people that I either elevate or disparage for reasons that are not really valid reasons. I know there are people I've thought horrible things about who were really just normal regular joes who were smart in other areas but inexperianced in the arena I knew them in. I know there are people I've thought of as amazing self assured genius specimens of physical perfection....who were really insecure, incompetant, losers who wanted more from life. Anways this is just serious thoughts from the Orc.