Skip to main content

Relationships. Regrets.

I have a bad habit. I will make friends, be extremely happy with my friends, move somewhere else, and completely forget to talk or call or visit. I just drop them.

By bad habit I didn't mean a quirky silly thing. This is a BAD thing. It is a distressing thing. I hate this aspect of myself. But I still find myself not wanting to stay on the phone and chat or to reply to emails. "I have nothing to say" is usually the reason I give.

And as a result I do not have any lasting friendships. I keep contact with a few people(Dawn, Amy) but mostly because they are the WONDERFUL types that know everyone's birthdays and all of their emails/phones and they call you and things of that nature. Not because I succeeded in anyway at keeping the lines of communication open.

I feel like I've hurt some wonderful people by my treatment of them(Ian, the Kelly's, Bonnie). And I've seen this continue in my online relationships. My first WoW guild I left without even saying goodbye... I just transferred. Now we weren't really connected in that guild but that isn't a reason for not saying goodbye.

When you leave friends, a job, a guild, family you should take the time to say goodbye. You should; even if its difficult or they don't care. Because this is what is polite and caring. It shows a degree of respect for the person you are leaving that you will take the time to let them know where you are going and why. And if you will be back.

And for friends and family you should also take the time to give them updates about your new life. Even if it is only a yearly/monthly note saying what you have been up to. This mundane information lets them share a part of your life and keeps them involved. And you get to keep your friends.

I have decided very recently to work on this. I hope I do better this move then my previous ones. It really sucks to have people be part of a key portion of your life and then to lose them and never be able to say "remember when?". I don't want it to happen again.

If you are one of the people I hurt by my actions, I'm sorry. Please drop me a line and I'll gladly pick it up and make amends.

Comments

Dawn Janis said…
Ah, Kerry. I'm glad that you consider me one of the ones who makes the effort to keep in touch. I'll shoot you an email later so that you can send me your new address. Then you cookie package will make it to your new place.

Popular posts from this blog

INSANITY. Day 2.

My thoughts on the Plyometric Cardio Circuit? My floor has never looked so appealing. And I never thought I'd be one of the "yellers." In exercise lingo (not another lingo!:) that means you yell when things get hard. Oh bother. Another pun. Anyway, Shaun T's Basketball Drills had me yelling. And grunting as good as those humongo body builders do. And as good as Tim the Tool Man Taylor:) Damm's thoughts were that he didn't push as hard as he could've BUT this time he was standing at the end of the workout. And as soon as he actually sat down he couldn't get back up:) We aren't going to change what we eat yet. We were already ingesting good-for-you foods. According to the caloric needs calculater Damm should be eating around 3,000 calories working out 6 days a week and I should be at 2,400. I'm already at 2,000-2,200 because I'm still the main food source of the Little Man. Not sure where Damm falls on the calorie count. Anyway, not upping ou...

The Cat is Out of the Bag

I wonder where that expression comes from? There is this fabulous book that can tell you, only I forgot the name of it. Next time I come across it I think I'm going to have to buy it. Anyway. I was going to wait. A long time. Maybe forever. I don't like people coming up and hugging me, smiling and saying congratulations, or asking me questions. But Damm was talking to his recruiter about insurance. And he mentioned something that he should've told the recruiter was non-repeatable, because 5 minutes later the recruiter told Damm's mother (I have no earthly idea why he's talking to her-I keep forgetting to ask). After that I had to tell my mother. We haven't told any extended family members because there are quite a few here celebrating Damm's mother's graduation and that would be the worst form of torture I can imagine. So yeah, I'm knocked up again :P And this time I'm getting the t-shirt. "It" is due August 11. I have not been to a doc...

Pedestels

Me and someone had an interesting conversation yesterday. Prompting this short question post: Who do you put on a pedestel? Who do you look down on? Don't answer either of these please. I don't really want to know. I just did a personal inventory and realized there are an awful lot of people that I either elevate or disparage for reasons that are not really valid reasons. I know there are people I've thought horrible things about who were really just normal regular joes who were smart in other areas but inexperianced in the arena I knew them in. I know there are people I've thought of as amazing self assured genius specimens of physical perfection....who were really insecure, incompetant, losers who wanted more from life. Anways this is just serious thoughts from the Orc.