Skip to main content

Some-girly-magazine: 3 things I thought of about guilds

A short poll of Orcpeople.
Myself: A chance to see raiding one night a week, a guild that is willing to do arena or premade battlegrounds. VERY light on the foul language. Medium-light on the adult conversation. Understanding that Orclette comes first.

Herself: A chance to see Kara one to two nights a week and a chatty social guild that doesn't cuss a lot and one that understands that Herself has a kid and other priorities.

Dumbself: One night a week raiding + someone to listen to.

Youngself: Mostly... someone to talk to. He plays often enough to fit with anyones schedule.

Gurgleself: Shiny, banaflavored, chewy, noise making, face banging things.

------------------------------------
The real article

Recently Matticus and Tobold both mentioned guilds. And had two -very- different approaches.

Matt's approach makes sense from a professional standpoint. If you are sloppy, you are hurting everyone else. Sit out or shape up. I like it for Arena Teams, Pre-Mades, etc. If I'm competing... I don't want to mess around. We analyze our mistakes/successes and learn... or we play something else. And honestly... if you are applying to a guild that wants a certain number of hps or gear and requires you to raid on nights x, x, and x? You should expect to be cut if you can't cut it. Superbowl teams don't get there by letting people show up late to team meetings and skip practices.

Tobold though mentioned a friendlier world where the guild helps you skill/level up and they don't leave you behind/cut you if you aren't keeping up. A loyalty world, not a world where players go from team to team each season trying to get to the top. I like the loyalty, I like the feeling that this is my 'home'.

Thoughts:

1) I think the reason earlier incarnations of guilds would wait for people to catch up was simply because there wasn't enough 'dedicated', 'skilled' players available. Also the idea of treating raiding like a Job that you apply for and interview for and schedule... was still growing back then(and is still growing now). As the numbers of very competitive, skilled players grows and they meet eachother they start setting standards. Show up on time or get booted. Wear [x] gear or get booted. Be [x] spec or...

And they can actually apply these standards...because if they boot someone they -know- there will be a replacement who is just as skilled. Before there were less players...and the pool of people willing to play like this was much smaller.

2) There are plenty of people who aren't this dedicated and prefer loyalty. You just don't see their guilds very often. Why? Because we focus on the top... and the fanatics get there faster. They don't have to wait around and level people up and train them.... they demand you be ready. So they get to the top 10%...and then we stare at them and want to be there too... and we try and emulate them. And guild jumping starts happening. Because we saw someone else 'win' by doing it. And the loyalty guilds? They are still demanding loyalty... and they will eventually do the top stuff... but at a much more glacial rate.

3) Being a pvp-based person I think I would prefer to be in a loyalty guild and expect performance from my Arena team or Premades. This way I get the best of both worlds. If I was a raid-based person... I would sit down and -decide- which I prefered. The friends angle with preformance on the side(you can have both you just need a focus). Or the Performance angle with friends on the side(Matticus does have friends in the game I'm sure he just also has standards for raiding).

Anyways, this has been another rambling post from an Orc.(ps: 52 yay baby!)[Ungoro Crator I love you](spelling optional)[now 33% fat free]

Comments

Ratshag said…
Gots ta love the shiny, banaflavored, chewy, noise making, face banging things.

Keeping me fingers crossed on yer guild-hunting situation.

Popular posts from this blog

INSANITY. Day 2.

My thoughts on the Plyometric Cardio Circuit? My floor has never looked so appealing. And I never thought I'd be one of the "yellers." In exercise lingo (not another lingo!:) that means you yell when things get hard. Oh bother. Another pun. Anyway, Shaun T's Basketball Drills had me yelling. And grunting as good as those humongo body builders do. And as good as Tim the Tool Man Taylor:) Damm's thoughts were that he didn't push as hard as he could've BUT this time he was standing at the end of the workout. And as soon as he actually sat down he couldn't get back up:) We aren't going to change what we eat yet. We were already ingesting good-for-you foods. According to the caloric needs calculater Damm should be eating around 3,000 calories working out 6 days a week and I should be at 2,400. I'm already at 2,000-2,200 because I'm still the main food source of the Little Man. Not sure where Damm falls on the calorie count. Anyway, not upping ou...

The Cat is Out of the Bag

I wonder where that expression comes from? There is this fabulous book that can tell you, only I forgot the name of it. Next time I come across it I think I'm going to have to buy it. Anyway. I was going to wait. A long time. Maybe forever. I don't like people coming up and hugging me, smiling and saying congratulations, or asking me questions. But Damm was talking to his recruiter about insurance. And he mentioned something that he should've told the recruiter was non-repeatable, because 5 minutes later the recruiter told Damm's mother (I have no earthly idea why he's talking to her-I keep forgetting to ask). After that I had to tell my mother. We haven't told any extended family members because there are quite a few here celebrating Damm's mother's graduation and that would be the worst form of torture I can imagine. So yeah, I'm knocked up again :P And this time I'm getting the t-shirt. "It" is due August 11. I have not been to a doc...

Pedestels

Me and someone had an interesting conversation yesterday. Prompting this short question post: Who do you put on a pedestel? Who do you look down on? Don't answer either of these please. I don't really want to know. I just did a personal inventory and realized there are an awful lot of people that I either elevate or disparage for reasons that are not really valid reasons. I know there are people I've thought horrible things about who were really just normal regular joes who were smart in other areas but inexperianced in the arena I knew them in. I know there are people I've thought of as amazing self assured genius specimens of physical perfection....who were really insecure, incompetant, losers who wanted more from life. Anways this is just serious thoughts from the Orc.