Skip to main content

On Swimming and other things including comma abuse.

I am what is classified as a "weak" swimmer. I can just barely... with patience... do that frog like swim from one end to the other of a 25 meter pool. Then I have to rest before I try to go back.

In ACU's(the army camo uniform) I get to change it from the frog like swim to the dog paddle... and I have to stop every so often to control my breathing.

So today after our training I stayed a bit extra to put in 20 min doing laps. This consisted of a grand total of ... get ready... 4 laps. I did 2 laps(100m) with a floaty thing holding up my chest/arms and using my legs only. Then I did 2 more with a floaty thingy holding up my legs and just using my arms. Then I got out.... and tried not to throw up. Then I walked around campus and ate breakfast with Wulfa and explained loudly and repeatedly that I was very tired now and wanted to go sleepy.

My buddy, who is an experienced medic and working on his nursing degree, which I don't suppose you really needed to know but it helps paint him, oh and he's ESL but his last name really isn't and it always surprises me when he speaks Spanish, on and ESL isn't me dogging him its to explain that he's ridiculously fluent in both, and anyways... he was doing 210-220 like me before last semester and in combination with his other workouts he added two days swimming laps and was up at 270 before he tried to wreck a moving car with his chest, he's okay though don't worry, the car drove off though, yeah anyways....

The point is SWIMMING IS HARD.

The other point is... its fun and you don't stink like sweat afterwards.

The other other point is... you don't feel like you are killing yourself because you are too distracted by the copious amounts of chlorine water that you are trying to breath because you can't efficiently keep your mouth up high.

I haven't played WoW this week at all. Too much to do. Spent this last weekend getting my passport updated and doing online training for stuff. Now I'm slightly behind on homework because I also spent all day tuesday skipping class on the passport stuff. Fortunately one of my classes was just a review of binary, hex, octal in preperation for machine level junk later. My other class the teacher hates computers so I really don't know what I missed.

OH THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

But not as urgent as my letters made it seem.

I need/want to pick a masters degree to start doing in 2014... it has to be doable completely online and needs to complement an Electrical Engineering degree. The reason for this is that I plan to go career army and expect that like most army types I'll be moving at least every two years with deployments regularly. So I don't imagine I will really have an opportunity to get my masters via regular classes. And I don't want to just swap over to a non-engineering field. Anyways, its a bit early but I like to plan way ahead so I can change my mind a few times before hand. The only thoughts I had for this was a Masters in Mathmatics or a place like this but I know a few of you are engineers and might have better suggestions.

Right now I'm not far enough along to really pick a specialty that I'm interested(aka Power, or optics or what have you).

Comments

Kaelynn said…
Any interest at all in the computer side of things? Computer Engineering is a great complement to electrical engineering. I think I heard some nice things about Purdue's online masters degree
Dammerung said…
Have been on occasion Kae and am sure I'll be again.

Right now I really don't know what I like. Or I like too much to decide. I'm not sure.

Thanks for the link, though.
Phil said…
I haven't looked lately, but when I was at Boeing a lot of people did an an online engineering program at SMU. You do have to go there in person a few times, but it was pretty mild from what I remember. USC also had an online engineering/mba program that I heard good things about.

But yeah, until you hit upper division stuff you're not going to be able to get a good feel for what you're interested in. Usually you get a pretty broad array of stuff at that point, with circuits, vlsi, digital design, DSP, communications, embedded systems, controls, etc.
scott said…
A lot of engineers get MBA's. Especially if you have management aspirations; an MBA will raise the glass ceiling a little.

In my mind, management is in the 'careful what you wish for' department, but you might like it.

Electromechanics might be good too, if there is such a thing. Actuators and motors and stuff.

It is probably going to be tough to know what will be a good fit for you at this point though.

Popular posts from this blog

RAMBLY Political Responses.

Sub-Teach, On monday, I had about 80% of this written as a reply to your comment before I figured I should just drop it into a post. Yay for thought spam from simple commentary. To be clear: I'm not anti-our-current-president. I didn't like his solution for the recession(the bailout(which was started by our previous president)) but I'm certainly not blaming the recession on him. I understand that it was my dear party that thought you could spend AND cut taxes at the same time. I'm not really in favor of the way in which the other party wants to extend the tax cuts(cutting some and not others). I would rather we let all of the tax cuts expire and everyone equally paid a little bit more. BUT I'm really not happy with the idea that we can extend all of them when we are in record levels of national debt, which is what my party espouses. No our current president didn't have much time to fix the economy...and any good/harm he did probably won't be evident

A post!

So Beowulfa recieved the Burning Crusade as one of her many christmas presents. As a side note, she also recieved a picture of a chick with a pet lion. Sort of like Angharad. Anyways, we're poking Drenai characters in a "ooo that would be cool" kind of way. Since it was her birthday present and all... and if the characters were not BElf or Spacegoat then it wouldn't be using the present! So we're going to at least get them to 10. And BElf's are too... pretty in an ugly way. I don'ts like them. She doesn't like them(much?). I said Spacegoat. She quickly created a male drenai priest(this morning). We talked about it at lunch and she's going to make a paladin instead, I think. I slightly warned her off of priest because I've heard they solo about as well as a warrior heals. I'm.... undecided. We have warrior, paladin, mage, priest, shaman, hunter. I've been told I need to be something tankish. So mage and priest are gone. I'm definin

New Stuff

For those of you who are still following us I'd like to redirect you over to our new blog project, www.wordsremember.com . Damm and I have embarked on artistic and literary adventures and have even opened our own etsy shop which you can find here . Thanks!