Skip to main content

Old School Vampires.

I've read "Dracula". I've read biographies on Vlad the Impaler. I've read Anne Rice. I've read "The Historian" (which is one of my favoritest books ever). I've also read the Twilight series and Laurell K. Hamilton. So I'm fairly well acquainted with vampire lore. Ok, now that's been established, moving on.

I overheard the following discussion at B&N this past weekend. It was conducted by two lovely girls who were trying-and failing-to dress goth. "Man, they've gone too far from old-school vampires. Vampires shouldn't be all twinkly. And what's with going out in daylight? The old ones exploded when they did that!"

I've made up a bit of that, since I don't have a photographic memory, but the gist is the same. I started giggling as I overheard their conversation. I wasn't dropping no eaves, mind, I was cleaning up the kids department and they were in the same area talking loudly. I was giggling because in Stoker's "Dracula" the old-school vampire had developed the ability to go out in sunlight. The entire episode of teenage angst over modern authors departing from traditional vampire mores was incredibly funny to me. Maybe it's not to other people? I have the ability to turn a hilarious story into a dud when retelling it.

But come on, the combination of failed goth dressers, angst, drama, anger at the modern world of vampire publishing, all for the wrong reasons? Funny!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

INSANITY. Day 2.

My thoughts on the Plyometric Cardio Circuit? My floor has never looked so appealing. And I never thought I'd be one of the "yellers." In exercise lingo (not another lingo!:) that means you yell when things get hard. Oh bother. Another pun. Anyway, Shaun T's Basketball Drills had me yelling. And grunting as good as those humongo body builders do. And as good as Tim the Tool Man Taylor:) Damm's thoughts were that he didn't push as hard as he could've BUT this time he was standing at the end of the workout. And as soon as he actually sat down he couldn't get back up:) We aren't going to change what we eat yet. We were already ingesting good-for-you foods. According to the caloric needs calculater Damm should be eating around 3,000 calories working out 6 days a week and I should be at 2,400. I'm already at 2,000-2,200 because I'm still the main food source of the Little Man. Not sure where Damm falls on the calorie count. Anyway, not upping ou...

The Cat is Out of the Bag

I wonder where that expression comes from? There is this fabulous book that can tell you, only I forgot the name of it. Next time I come across it I think I'm going to have to buy it. Anyway. I was going to wait. A long time. Maybe forever. I don't like people coming up and hugging me, smiling and saying congratulations, or asking me questions. But Damm was talking to his recruiter about insurance. And he mentioned something that he should've told the recruiter was non-repeatable, because 5 minutes later the recruiter told Damm's mother (I have no earthly idea why he's talking to her-I keep forgetting to ask). After that I had to tell my mother. We haven't told any extended family members because there are quite a few here celebrating Damm's mother's graduation and that would be the worst form of torture I can imagine. So yeah, I'm knocked up again :P And this time I'm getting the t-shirt. "It" is due August 11. I have not been to a doc...

Pedestels

Me and someone had an interesting conversation yesterday. Prompting this short question post: Who do you put on a pedestel? Who do you look down on? Don't answer either of these please. I don't really want to know. I just did a personal inventory and realized there are an awful lot of people that I either elevate or disparage for reasons that are not really valid reasons. I know there are people I've thought horrible things about who were really just normal regular joes who were smart in other areas but inexperianced in the arena I knew them in. I know there are people I've thought of as amazing self assured genius specimens of physical perfection....who were really insecure, incompetant, losers who wanted more from life. Anways this is just serious thoughts from the Orc.