Skip to main content

Potty Training

The Orclette knows how to go on the potty. She knows how to recognize when to go. She can stay dry all night. She's done all these things.

But now? She refuses to.

We've taken away Dora. We've taken away Max & Ruby. We've had monumental power struggles. And we've both concluded that it's not working. We don't even want to come close to breaking her spirit-but eventually she needs to be potty trained.

She's what you'd term a "strong-willed child". I was apparently a very compliant child. If I wanted something I'd either ask or be sneaky about it. Damm was the model child. I'm serious. We had to go and name her "fire" ... She certainly lives up to her name.

So we're seeking for alternatives. We found a book called "Stress-Free Potty Training" and we're both going to read through that and decide upon a new approach. And I think I might need to crack open Dobson's book on strong-willed children. I just don't know how to deal with her sometimes. I find myself trying to reason with my 3 year old, just like my dad used to with us:) And as he found out, that doesn't work.

Does anyone else know of a book/method that could offer some good pointers? Or some good potty training tips? We're not even talking about the potty today. I was too annoyed yesterday and I really don't like being annoyed at my daughter.

What's frustrating is that she's ahead in everything else ... she loves doing her "schoolwork", she can help me unload the dishwasher and do other small chores, she can put the dog in his crate, she has a vocabulary far ahead of her 3 years thanks to me (I'm not very good at speaking to small children, I tend to speak to them just like I would an adult). Why not potty-training? She's not scared-as I said, she can and will go. Just not all the time. Only when she deems it the right time.

Miniorc had better be easier. That's all I gotta say.

Comments

bo-breaze said…
You could bribe her/ rewards for going potty. IDK mine is just now entering the potty training period
Phil Kelly said…
Since my wife has her degree in that, I figured I'd ask her ;). She suggested the rewards system as well, but said that first she'd try appealing to their sense of pride - "Oh, you're a big girl, don't you want to do big girl things" "mommy and daddy use the potty" etc.
Rusty said…
Along with Phil, I'd suggest that if she enjoys helping you with little chores (the dishes, cleaning, etc) that you emphasize the "big girl" part of doing those jobs.

If she won't act like a big girl in potty training, then she won't be able to do big girl jobs with you.

Of course, if she's lazy, like me, then it's just more free time for her.

Dax (Rusty)

Popular posts from this blog

RAMBLY Political Responses.

Sub-Teach, On monday, I had about 80% of this written as a reply to your comment before I figured I should just drop it into a post. Yay for thought spam from simple commentary. To be clear: I'm not anti-our-current-president. I didn't like his solution for the recession(the bailout(which was started by our previous president)) but I'm certainly not blaming the recession on him. I understand that it was my dear party that thought you could spend AND cut taxes at the same time. I'm not really in favor of the way in which the other party wants to extend the tax cuts(cutting some and not others). I would rather we let all of the tax cuts expire and everyone equally paid a little bit more. BUT I'm really not happy with the idea that we can extend all of them when we are in record levels of national debt, which is what my party espouses. No our current president didn't have much time to fix the economy...and any good/harm he did probably won't be evident

A post!

So Beowulfa recieved the Burning Crusade as one of her many christmas presents. As a side note, she also recieved a picture of a chick with a pet lion. Sort of like Angharad. Anyways, we're poking Drenai characters in a "ooo that would be cool" kind of way. Since it was her birthday present and all... and if the characters were not BElf or Spacegoat then it wouldn't be using the present! So we're going to at least get them to 10. And BElf's are too... pretty in an ugly way. I don'ts like them. She doesn't like them(much?). I said Spacegoat. She quickly created a male drenai priest(this morning). We talked about it at lunch and she's going to make a paladin instead, I think. I slightly warned her off of priest because I've heard they solo about as well as a warrior heals. I'm.... undecided. We have warrior, paladin, mage, priest, shaman, hunter. I've been told I need to be something tankish. So mage and priest are gone. I'm definin

New Stuff

For those of you who are still following us I'd like to redirect you over to our new blog project, www.wordsremember.com . Damm and I have embarked on artistic and literary adventures and have even opened our own etsy shop which you can find here . Thanks!