Skip to main content

Clutter Queen

I am a Clutter Queen. I inherited the syndrome from my mother, who inherited it from her mother. I remember my mother telling me about a time my grandmother pitched all my mom's stuff out her bedroom window ... usually she was threatening to do the same thing to my overstuffed bedroom.

I do attempt to control the clutter. But I've got that packrat mentality. Someday, I might need that highschool paper I wrote. And sure enough, I'm wanting to get my hands on a paper I wrote for English on Beowulf ... my honors teacher wants thoughts on the art of translation and I read three different translations for that paper. So far I haven't found it-my packrat tendencies have failed me!

This issue comes up today because I'm setting up our school room/office and I have mounds of paper waiting to be filed/shredded. And I don't have enough room on the bookshelf we have in here for our school stuff because I have last semester's stuff still on there. And although I have a HUGE hallway closet I can stuff things into, I can't bear to look inside because then I confront all of my scrapbooking supplies. And pictures I'm not currently using. And the boxes full of stuff I can't classify.

I try to go through stuff at least once a year. School stuff once a semester. Other than that I don't have a good system for conquering the clutter in my house. And that clutter stresses me out. Some of it is the kiddos, and I won't be rid of that til they're older. But the stuff I can control-what should I do? Anyone know of a good system/book? What has worked for you?

Totally disappearing in clutter,

Wulfa

Comments

scott said…
I don't have a good system, but I try to keep picking away at it. Do a little bit of extra cleaning when I am doing regular housework. Over time the stuff slowly disappears.
Wulfa said…
Hehe that would work except I tend to see stuff I absolutely must have ... and don't even get me talking about seasonal stuff. I love autumn and Christmas and my possessions reflect that:)

Popular posts from this blog

INSANITY. Day 2.

My thoughts on the Plyometric Cardio Circuit? My floor has never looked so appealing. And I never thought I'd be one of the "yellers." In exercise lingo (not another lingo!:) that means you yell when things get hard. Oh bother. Another pun. Anyway, Shaun T's Basketball Drills had me yelling. And grunting as good as those humongo body builders do. And as good as Tim the Tool Man Taylor:) Damm's thoughts were that he didn't push as hard as he could've BUT this time he was standing at the end of the workout. And as soon as he actually sat down he couldn't get back up:) We aren't going to change what we eat yet. We were already ingesting good-for-you foods. According to the caloric needs calculater Damm should be eating around 3,000 calories working out 6 days a week and I should be at 2,400. I'm already at 2,000-2,200 because I'm still the main food source of the Little Man. Not sure where Damm falls on the calorie count. Anyway, not upping ou...

The Cat is Out of the Bag

I wonder where that expression comes from? There is this fabulous book that can tell you, only I forgot the name of it. Next time I come across it I think I'm going to have to buy it. Anyway. I was going to wait. A long time. Maybe forever. I don't like people coming up and hugging me, smiling and saying congratulations, or asking me questions. But Damm was talking to his recruiter about insurance. And he mentioned something that he should've told the recruiter was non-repeatable, because 5 minutes later the recruiter told Damm's mother (I have no earthly idea why he's talking to her-I keep forgetting to ask). After that I had to tell my mother. We haven't told any extended family members because there are quite a few here celebrating Damm's mother's graduation and that would be the worst form of torture I can imagine. So yeah, I'm knocked up again :P And this time I'm getting the t-shirt. "It" is due August 11. I have not been to a doc...

Pedestels

Me and someone had an interesting conversation yesterday. Prompting this short question post: Who do you put on a pedestel? Who do you look down on? Don't answer either of these please. I don't really want to know. I just did a personal inventory and realized there are an awful lot of people that I either elevate or disparage for reasons that are not really valid reasons. I know there are people I've thought horrible things about who were really just normal regular joes who were smart in other areas but inexperianced in the arena I knew them in. I know there are people I've thought of as amazing self assured genius specimens of physical perfection....who were really insecure, incompetant, losers who wanted more from life. Anways this is just serious thoughts from the Orc.