Skip to main content

Wulfa's Workout World

And my new catchphrase: "I have no time!" or, because I'm in Spanish 211 and have to speak in Spanish, "¡No tengo tiempo!"

And so I have to make sure less is more. Less time to exercise, but more intensity during the workouts. Something I can sustain over a semester of burgeoning homework. A routine, so I don't have to think about it.

And Damm, because he knows me well, promised that I'd be able to get to 2 classes at my gym per week (muchos puntos for that one:). So I've chosen Spinning on Monday and Wednesday evenings. Entonces (so then), aquí es mi horario (here is my schedule):

Monday: Spinning
Tuesday: 2 mile run, ab workout, 100 pushup program and 200 squat program
Wednesday: Spinning
Thursday: 2 mile run, ab workout, 100 pushup program and 200 squat program
Friday: Off-gaming night for Damm
Saturday: An INSANITY workout of my choice
Sunday: 2 mile run, ab workout, 100 pushup program and 200 squat program

That looks like a lot, but on my running days that will take me 40 minutes. Spinning is a 50-minute class, and the INSANITY workouts in month 1 are around 40 minutes. For me, myself, and I, that's doable. If you have never exercised before or are just starting, do not attempt that. You will be incredibly sore after Monday and may never feel the need to exercise again:)

To fuel all of this activity and the brain cells I'm using for school, I'm eating between 2600 calories and 2800 calories a day. I expect that to drop when Miniorc eventually weans himself, probably to 2200-2400 calories/day. And there are days when 2800 calories just isn't enough-and my little calorie calculator tool says that with my level of activity and breastfeeding I can actually eat around 3000 calories and still lose a bit of the baby weight I'd gained:) (https://www.caremark.com/wps/portal/HEALTH_RESOURCES?topic=calneed)

Note the number of calories. Still seems high to me-I remember days where I ate no more than 800 calories-but it's what I currently need. The guideline is to not eat less than 1200 calories, but I honestly think for most people that sends your body into starvation mode and hinders your weight-loss attempts. Good rule of thumb: calculate what you need for your height/weight/activity level (the link I've provided is the best one I've found so far) and then subtract 500 calories to lose around 1 pd/week. Or if you can't do that, subtract 250 calories-every two weeks you'll lose around a pound. Slow and steady. Develop good habits where food is concerned. I really, really don't like fad diets-I think you should never go on a program that you can't sustain for the foreseeable future (of course, there are always exceptions).

My disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, I am not a personal trainer (although I think I'll eventually become one). The only qualifications I have are a lifetime of fitness, personal battles with food, and the super-athletes on my mother's side of the family.

And Wulfa the Workout Maven is out.

Comments

Brad said…
How are you liking the Insanity workout?
Wulfa said…
@Brad: I love the INSANITY workouts. No weights, upbeat music (although there is a no-music option). I think Shawn T is motivating and the cuing is good. I didn't lose weight but I did gain muscle and endurance. I would recommend it.

Popular posts from this blog

RAMBLY Political Responses.

Sub-Teach, On monday, I had about 80% of this written as a reply to your comment before I figured I should just drop it into a post. Yay for thought spam from simple commentary. To be clear: I'm not anti-our-current-president. I didn't like his solution for the recession(the bailout(which was started by our previous president)) but I'm certainly not blaming the recession on him. I understand that it was my dear party that thought you could spend AND cut taxes at the same time. I'm not really in favor of the way in which the other party wants to extend the tax cuts(cutting some and not others). I would rather we let all of the tax cuts expire and everyone equally paid a little bit more. BUT I'm really not happy with the idea that we can extend all of them when we are in record levels of national debt, which is what my party espouses. No our current president didn't have much time to fix the economy...and any good/harm he did probably won't be evident

A post!

So Beowulfa recieved the Burning Crusade as one of her many christmas presents. As a side note, she also recieved a picture of a chick with a pet lion. Sort of like Angharad. Anyways, we're poking Drenai characters in a "ooo that would be cool" kind of way. Since it was her birthday present and all... and if the characters were not BElf or Spacegoat then it wouldn't be using the present! So we're going to at least get them to 10. And BElf's are too... pretty in an ugly way. I don'ts like them. She doesn't like them(much?). I said Spacegoat. She quickly created a male drenai priest(this morning). We talked about it at lunch and she's going to make a paladin instead, I think. I slightly warned her off of priest because I've heard they solo about as well as a warrior heals. I'm.... undecided. We have warrior, paladin, mage, priest, shaman, hunter. I've been told I need to be something tankish. So mage and priest are gone. I'm definin

New Stuff

For those of you who are still following us I'd like to redirect you over to our new blog project, www.wordsremember.com . Damm and I have embarked on artistic and literary adventures and have even opened our own etsy shop which you can find here . Thanks!