Skip to main content

The creative bug strikes

Every once in a while I get the urge to create something. Twice now this has resulted in children; it has also resulted in some relatively nice works of art throughout the years. A few days ago I had the urge to write a poem about my orange shoe. I am rather pleased with it. And then I had the bright idea to try my hand at writing haikus. Why haiku? who knows. Maybe the challenge of evoking an image/idea/etc. with only a few words? Maybe because it's format is really easy to remember?

At any rate, I whipped out a few haikus this weekend. I ran into the problem of audience comprehension-I thought my haikus made perfect sense but Damm and others had to ask me for the meaning. I also did a bit of research on the haiku to make sure I was doing it right and found out I wasn't. Although there is no general consensus on how to write a haiku in a foreign language (i.e. not in Japanese) typically you should follow the 5/7/5 syllable rule. In addition it is traditional to use nature to locate your place in time-i.e. dawn, night, fall, winter, etc. And you should use nature anyway in your haikus. So I attempted that. I'm not yet ready to share most of my attempts but I do have one that I think will make sense:

Twilight, deepening-
Miasma, riot of color-
Descending, gray, gone.

It's twilight. I used the word "miasma" but I think it has a different meaning than what I was trying to convey so it's back to the drawing board. Maybe. I'm still puzzled at my desire to write poetry-usually I avoid it at all costs. My taste for poetry was ruined by analyzing in excruciating detail John Keats's "Ode on a Grecian Urn." Although just now I looked up the poem to find the correct title of it and wow, that's a good poem. They should have a follow-up class for English Lit. a year or two after you've struggled through the hidden meanings behind every work: you will have a new depth of appreciation for the compositions once the feelings of frustration are gone.

A new subject but the same motivation: I have big plans for being creative over our Spring Break. I used to create all sorts of beaded jewelry but with the advent of little kids that stopped cold turkey. I want to create a new bracelet for my mom and I have a design in mind ... maybe I'll have the time? I'm also going through our file cabinet and ALL of our papers so the bracelet might be a forlorn hope. Maybe over the summer ... but that's when I was going to catch up on Little Man's scrapbook and forge ahead with Babydoll's pictures ... and take Spanish 211 & 212 ... heh. At least I won't get bored anytime soon.

I considered composing a farewell haiku but I think that would be major overkill and so you are spared :) In its place I'll leave a haiku that's actually good:

Without flowing wine
How to enjoy lovely
Cherry blossoms? (anonymous)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RAMBLY Political Responses.

Sub-Teach, On monday, I had about 80% of this written as a reply to your comment before I figured I should just drop it into a post. Yay for thought spam from simple commentary. To be clear: I'm not anti-our-current-president. I didn't like his solution for the recession(the bailout(which was started by our previous president)) but I'm certainly not blaming the recession on him. I understand that it was my dear party that thought you could spend AND cut taxes at the same time. I'm not really in favor of the way in which the other party wants to extend the tax cuts(cutting some and not others). I would rather we let all of the tax cuts expire and everyone equally paid a little bit more. BUT I'm really not happy with the idea that we can extend all of them when we are in record levels of national debt, which is what my party espouses. No our current president didn't have much time to fix the economy...and any good/harm he did probably won't be evident

A post!

So Beowulfa recieved the Burning Crusade as one of her many christmas presents. As a side note, she also recieved a picture of a chick with a pet lion. Sort of like Angharad. Anyways, we're poking Drenai characters in a "ooo that would be cool" kind of way. Since it was her birthday present and all... and if the characters were not BElf or Spacegoat then it wouldn't be using the present! So we're going to at least get them to 10. And BElf's are too... pretty in an ugly way. I don'ts like them. She doesn't like them(much?). I said Spacegoat. She quickly created a male drenai priest(this morning). We talked about it at lunch and she's going to make a paladin instead, I think. I slightly warned her off of priest because I've heard they solo about as well as a warrior heals. I'm.... undecided. We have warrior, paladin, mage, priest, shaman, hunter. I've been told I need to be something tankish. So mage and priest are gone. I'm definin

New Stuff

For those of you who are still following us I'd like to redirect you over to our new blog project, www.wordsremember.com . Damm and I have embarked on artistic and literary adventures and have even opened our own etsy shop which you can find here . Thanks!