Skip to main content

Oatmeal, Shirts and Economics.


First, the Oatmeal. I was out shopping the other day in the middle of the afternoon. I had actually made a shopping list and was going to stick to my budget so I was feeling pretty good about life. We (meaning myself, Orclette and Miniorc) got to the cereal aisle and I thought about buying some. Cereal is rather expensive, however, when you compare it to Oatmeal, so I decided that I was going to be virtuous and buy the cheaper option. It was a great idea until the next morning when my morning brain threw a fit against my afternoon brain because my morning brain DOES NOT COOK. Not even the minuscule amount of cooking that it takes to make Oatmeal. So the moral is: do not do your breakfast shopping with your afternoon brain.

Secondly, the Shirts. I was switching out the kiddos summer clothes for their winter ones (it's just now getting cold here) and I discovered that the Orclette had practically nothing warm to wear. So I packed the kids up and headed out to Savers, one of our local thrift stores. We found some really cute things, including a Shirt that had a design I would actually wear. This raises a conundrum for me: am I dressing my daughter in clothes too old for her? She's no longer a toddler so (to me at least) the frills and bows don't look right. But do I really want her to be a mini-me at age four? (The Shirt was in all other respects appropriate. I don't dress skankily and neither will my daughter as long as she lives in my house:)

Thirdly and finally, Economics. I took Macro Economics a long time ago and got a "D", the only time I've ever received a grade that low. I think it's safe to say I don't understand the subject matter all that well. So one of my teachers assigned a reading that was written by a sociologist who used economic terms indiscriminately throughout the reading. I really have no idea what he said, but I had to write a paper on it, so I let my brain take a back seat, tried to remember that Macro Economics class, and let the words flow. The paper actually sounds intelligent but I have no idea what I said. I'm turning it in today. Hopefully it'll sound intelligent enough to garner me an "A".

Comments

Cap'n John said…
For ease of cooking oatmeal (and no, I'm not going to recommend getting the Instant Oats :P) I like to precook/soak my oatmeal overnight. Put it in your bowl, add a generous helping of milk (I prefer milk over water for the extra creaminess factor), microwave for a few minutes or until the milk starts to boil, then pop it in the fridge.

If you prefer to boil your oats in water you wouldn't need to refridgerate it overnight so it could stay hot longer, meaning the oats would soften even more. With water you could even leave it in the microwave (so it's not sitting out in the open), and if you have a microwave with a programmable timer you could program it to start when your alarm goes off.
Beowulfa said…
Oh I like those ideas. It had not occurred to me to prepare the oatmeal the night before. Thank!
Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up

Popular posts from this blog

INSANITY. Day 2.

My thoughts on the Plyometric Cardio Circuit? My floor has never looked so appealing. And I never thought I'd be one of the "yellers." In exercise lingo (not another lingo!:) that means you yell when things get hard. Oh bother. Another pun. Anyway, Shaun T's Basketball Drills had me yelling. And grunting as good as those humongo body builders do. And as good as Tim the Tool Man Taylor:) Damm's thoughts were that he didn't push as hard as he could've BUT this time he was standing at the end of the workout. And as soon as he actually sat down he couldn't get back up:) We aren't going to change what we eat yet. We were already ingesting good-for-you foods. According to the caloric needs calculater Damm should be eating around 3,000 calories working out 6 days a week and I should be at 2,400. I'm already at 2,000-2,200 because I'm still the main food source of the Little Man. Not sure where Damm falls on the calorie count. Anyway, not upping ou...

The Cat is Out of the Bag

I wonder where that expression comes from? There is this fabulous book that can tell you, only I forgot the name of it. Next time I come across it I think I'm going to have to buy it. Anyway. I was going to wait. A long time. Maybe forever. I don't like people coming up and hugging me, smiling and saying congratulations, or asking me questions. But Damm was talking to his recruiter about insurance. And he mentioned something that he should've told the recruiter was non-repeatable, because 5 minutes later the recruiter told Damm's mother (I have no earthly idea why he's talking to her-I keep forgetting to ask). After that I had to tell my mother. We haven't told any extended family members because there are quite a few here celebrating Damm's mother's graduation and that would be the worst form of torture I can imagine. So yeah, I'm knocked up again :P And this time I'm getting the t-shirt. "It" is due August 11. I have not been to a doc...

Pedestels

Me and someone had an interesting conversation yesterday. Prompting this short question post: Who do you put on a pedestel? Who do you look down on? Don't answer either of these please. I don't really want to know. I just did a personal inventory and realized there are an awful lot of people that I either elevate or disparage for reasons that are not really valid reasons. I know there are people I've thought horrible things about who were really just normal regular joes who were smart in other areas but inexperianced in the arena I knew them in. I know there are people I've thought of as amazing self assured genius specimens of physical perfection....who were really insecure, incompetant, losers who wanted more from life. Anways this is just serious thoughts from the Orc.