Skip to main content

How the mighty have fallen.

I've read some serious literature in my time. It was unavoidable since my mom was an literature nut (I wish I could post some of her stories and drawings; when I first saw them it was the first time I remember thinking that my mom wasn't just a mom, she was awesome!). I read Uncle Tom's Cabin, the full version, when I was in fourth grade (I think I was nine or ten). Soon after that I decided to read Don Quixote since it is considered to be the first modern European novel. I can see why people tried to improve upon it (sorry, Grandpa, I know it's one of your favorites).

When I was approaching my twenties I decided to read War and Peace because I thought it would be cool to casually mention that I had read it, since so many non-literary people seemed to be in awe of anyone who had read it. I found out later that many literary types have also read the book, and since I live/work/breath around literary types this feat isn't quite as cool. Oh well. I've also read many other works of literature (my mom was working off a reading list Harvard recommended) and I frequently would wander off into a tangential interest. For example, having read Shakespeare I simply had to read the Greek tragedies and comedies and all about the lives of the men who authored them.

This weekend, however, I spent some time in a field of writing (note I did not say literature) that I had previously avoided: the Harlequin romance. It was free on my Nook and I was bored and not wanting anything serious. My first book (there were a total of five, I think) was not to bad. I think it was called An Inconvenient Duchess. Decent plot, decent writing, not too graphic in the love scenes. The rest went downhill in quality and yet I continued to read them, thinking that surely it must get better. No, no it did not. In one the feisty lady takes over the duel fought in her honor and brings the bad boy who had been trying to label her a slut to his knees. Her action was convenient since her chosen man abhorred firearms and didn't really know how to shoot one. He also didn't like to ride horses, never swore nor indulged in bits of libation. Wonderful, yes?

I think I'm over the Harlequin romance now, fortunately. I'm ready for more serious writing again. Damm has asked me to read On Combat so I'll start to muddle through that.

Happy hump day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RAMBLY Political Responses.

Sub-Teach, On monday, I had about 80% of this written as a reply to your comment before I figured I should just drop it into a post. Yay for thought spam from simple commentary. To be clear: I'm not anti-our-current-president. I didn't like his solution for the recession(the bailout(which was started by our previous president)) but I'm certainly not blaming the recession on him. I understand that it was my dear party that thought you could spend AND cut taxes at the same time. I'm not really in favor of the way in which the other party wants to extend the tax cuts(cutting some and not others). I would rather we let all of the tax cuts expire and everyone equally paid a little bit more. BUT I'm really not happy with the idea that we can extend all of them when we are in record levels of national debt, which is what my party espouses. No our current president didn't have much time to fix the economy...and any good/harm he did probably won't be evident

A post!

So Beowulfa recieved the Burning Crusade as one of her many christmas presents. As a side note, she also recieved a picture of a chick with a pet lion. Sort of like Angharad. Anyways, we're poking Drenai characters in a "ooo that would be cool" kind of way. Since it was her birthday present and all... and if the characters were not BElf or Spacegoat then it wouldn't be using the present! So we're going to at least get them to 10. And BElf's are too... pretty in an ugly way. I don'ts like them. She doesn't like them(much?). I said Spacegoat. She quickly created a male drenai priest(this morning). We talked about it at lunch and she's going to make a paladin instead, I think. I slightly warned her off of priest because I've heard they solo about as well as a warrior heals. I'm.... undecided. We have warrior, paladin, mage, priest, shaman, hunter. I've been told I need to be something tankish. So mage and priest are gone. I'm definin

New Stuff

For those of you who are still following us I'd like to redirect you over to our new blog project, www.wordsremember.com . Damm and I have embarked on artistic and literary adventures and have even opened our own etsy shop which you can find here . Thanks!