Skip to main content

Chemists are Weird. Like Engineers only WORSE.

Our professor is sweet. A little off, her humor is, but that's ok. Our TA for Chem. Lab is also sweet but he's from India and I understand 1 in 5 words he says. Which is ok because Damm can understand him so I just wait til he's done speaking and then ask what it is I'm supposed to know.

Last night we found out the density of Unknown Substance "B." Actually, in the midst of the lab I had no clue why we were doing these painstaking experiments but I was tired and I planned on asking later. Damm did a wonderful job of explaining volume, mass, and density in terms of something I could understand: M&M's. If you have another way of explaining it that involves items such as spaghetti, chocolate, Oreo's, please feel free to share it with me. I'm still trying to conceptualize it.

Also last night we concluded that Engineers don't really care how something works, they just want to know if it will work. Historians want to know all about the events/people/etc. that made that discovery possible and the repercussions of it, and Chemists ..... Chemists are like the Ents. In LOTR. They take a really long time to say things, i.e. discover them, but (to give them their due) when they do speak it is worthwhile. But they drive everyone nutso in the process.

Unfortunately my brain is totally capable of grasping the way Chemists like to do things (because history is also about the details and hypothesis) so I have no excuse ... I can get an A in this class. Which means I have to try and get an A in this class. Which means I have a ton of work ahead of me ... But wow. I now understand how most people feel when I start talking animatedly about what I read in my history textbook THAT WAS SUPER AWESOME AND AMAZING. And that is "Wow, I'm glad you're excited but I totally have no interest in that and I don't need to know. And FYI, you're weird."

Final thought on Chem. Lab: It was totally awesome to be surrounded by test tubes and glass stirring sticks and when I pretended that my sink was a cauldron, I was totally Hermoine Granger and Snape was about to say something sarcastic.

Comments

klaki said…
"Also last night we concluded that Engineers don't really care how something works, they just want to know if it will work."

Being an engineer myself, I can tell you how wrong that statement is. Engineers love to tear things apart just to see how it worked. Most of the classes I took was were about how things worked on a smaller scale.

Chemistry is fun. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun in lab seeing all sorts of cool stuff when they interact. Just don't blow up the place :)

Popular posts from this blog

INSANITY. Day 2.

My thoughts on the Plyometric Cardio Circuit? My floor has never looked so appealing. And I never thought I'd be one of the "yellers." In exercise lingo (not another lingo!:) that means you yell when things get hard. Oh bother. Another pun. Anyway, Shaun T's Basketball Drills had me yelling. And grunting as good as those humongo body builders do. And as good as Tim the Tool Man Taylor:) Damm's thoughts were that he didn't push as hard as he could've BUT this time he was standing at the end of the workout. And as soon as he actually sat down he couldn't get back up:) We aren't going to change what we eat yet. We were already ingesting good-for-you foods. According to the caloric needs calculater Damm should be eating around 3,000 calories working out 6 days a week and I should be at 2,400. I'm already at 2,000-2,200 because I'm still the main food source of the Little Man. Not sure where Damm falls on the calorie count. Anyway, not upping ou...

The Cat is Out of the Bag

I wonder where that expression comes from? There is this fabulous book that can tell you, only I forgot the name of it. Next time I come across it I think I'm going to have to buy it. Anyway. I was going to wait. A long time. Maybe forever. I don't like people coming up and hugging me, smiling and saying congratulations, or asking me questions. But Damm was talking to his recruiter about insurance. And he mentioned something that he should've told the recruiter was non-repeatable, because 5 minutes later the recruiter told Damm's mother (I have no earthly idea why he's talking to her-I keep forgetting to ask). After that I had to tell my mother. We haven't told any extended family members because there are quite a few here celebrating Damm's mother's graduation and that would be the worst form of torture I can imagine. So yeah, I'm knocked up again :P And this time I'm getting the t-shirt. "It" is due August 11. I have not been to a doc...

Pedestels

Me and someone had an interesting conversation yesterday. Prompting this short question post: Who do you put on a pedestel? Who do you look down on? Don't answer either of these please. I don't really want to know. I just did a personal inventory and realized there are an awful lot of people that I either elevate or disparage for reasons that are not really valid reasons. I know there are people I've thought horrible things about who were really just normal regular joes who were smart in other areas but inexperianced in the arena I knew them in. I know there are people I've thought of as amazing self assured genius specimens of physical perfection....who were really insecure, incompetant, losers who wanted more from life. Anways this is just serious thoughts from the Orc.